If Window = Door, Does Door = Window?

Ahh, the ups and downs of in the world of employment. Or unemployment, as it might better be described. When was it that I was just a substitute teacher? I believe that was just about a month ago. Or, two hours ago, depending on how you look at.

Yes, believe it or not, I’m back to sub status. In a nutshell, it all happened like this:

Day 1: Plodding along in Substitute Teacher World status when I get a call from district people asking if I might be interested in a permanent position in one of their classrooms.

Day 4-7: Go in for a variety of interviews.

Day 11: Start a week of shadowing a teacher who is planning to vacate her position sometime around Christmas break.

Day 12 - 15: To-Be-Shadowed teacher is unexpectedly called away for personal business and I teach in her classroom without her for a few days.

Day 18 – 35 Christmas break, with the expectation that I will take over in same classroom after break.

Day 36: Return from Christmas and learn that shadowed teacher, due to very unfortunate personal circumstances, will not be vacating position. However, I learn that there will be two new preschool programs starting in the next month, and that I will be able to teach in one of these. In the meantime, I start observing at another preschool classroom while I am waiting for the new classroom to be up and running ready.

Day 39 (Today): After another day of observation, I learn that due to budget cuts, there will be no new preschool classrooms at this time, and that there is no job available for me at all.

Day 39.5: Back to sub status.

Ah, well. They do say that when God closes a door he opens a window, but it does seem like some of these windows are turning into doors.  Which begs the question - if a window can be a door, can a door be a window?  You know, like a square can be a rectangle but a rectangle can't be a square...never mind.  Big digression there. It does make one wonder if God isn’t really telling me that it isn’t time for me to work right now. Or perhaps something else completely different is around the corner. At this point, I can’t say I’d be too surprised at that at all.

Unknown  – (8 January 2010 at 16:36)  

Julie, work is overrated. Greg spent most of last year unemployed. How else do kids learn valuable skills, like dine and dash, if you're always gainfully employed?
I'm just sayin...

Barbara  – (8 January 2010 at 19:26)  

What a revolting development that is! Hang in there, and let's all keep praying. Mom

kdildine  – (8 January 2010 at 22:26)  

I am so sorry to hear this...hang in there. The perfect position is just waiting for you.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP