Moving Musings

Well, I'm just back from the gym with not much news to relate. Today I used an exercise machine that has a little TV installed in it, so I could only watch one channel at a time. Of course, you can change from channel to channel, but unfortunately, I am not coordinated enough to do that - I already have to concentrate fully to make sure I keep my feet on the pedals and don't step right off the machine.


Anyway, I got up ready and rearin' to go this morning. (Is "rearin'" the right word? Oh, well.) I'm still a little bit unsure of myself, but am trying to make the most of what's going on now. In fact, a passing comment about from Jason a few days ago regarding me getting a part-time teaching job in the fall spurred me into action to enjoy this stay-at-home time while I have it. So I am vowing to get all of my home responsibilities done early in the day and do something that I really enjoy with the extra time. Plus, I am trying to get out and a)meet more people and b)develop friendships with the people I have already met.

You know, it's a funny thing - someone commented to me this weekend about how those first months in Morgantown must have been a big time of adjustment, too. I'm sure they were, but I don't really remember them as a hard time at all. I was just so happy to be living in America where everyone speaks English, and so happy to have come through such a hard transition from our time in Prague that I just remember being, well...happy.

Of course, it was hard feeling comfortable in different settings there, as it is here. Yesterday Jason and I were sitting at the ball park watching Jericho's baseball scrimmage and while there I tried to remember those early days in Morgantown, when we went to the ball park or soccer fields and knew no one. Then I remembered going during our last seasons in Morgantown, and there were always people there that we knew. The part I can't remember is whether I worked hard to get to know those people, or did it just come naturally over the years? Did I try to make small talk about baseball-y things with those strangers, or did it just happen?

I don't know. I know that either a)it will come here bit by bit, or b)it will come a little faster if I make small talk. Today I'm just content to a)have worked out and b)have the sunny day ahead of me.

Barbara  – (9 March 2009 at 12:26)  

I appreciated this, because I've been feeling lonely lately and wondering how I can change that, and it's occurred to me that part of why I feel lonely is often because I don't make the effort to make small talk - and I've sometimes felt proud of it -- "Hey, that's who I am. I'm just not a small talking person." Someone once told me "You have the lowest tolerance for small talk of anyone I've ever met" and I know that's probably a true statement -- but I'm recognizing that it comes with a price -- one I'm not sure I want to pay anymore. Guess it's time for this old dog to learn new tricks.

Barbara  – (9 March 2009 at 12:28)  

And when I read of your struggles, I feel somewhat guilty for some of what I passed on to you. Love ya!

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP