A Baptism on Father's Day

Today Jason and I were able to witness one of the greatest joys a parent can have: the baptism of our youngest son Jacob. In fact, Jason baptized him, and on Father's Day, no less. I feel so blessed to have both of our boys on this journey with Christ, and for Jason to be the one to bring them to this place.

As I sat on the front row of the church gathering, waiting for Jason and Jacob to make their way into the baptistry, I missed my family members more than I have any other day we've been here. Really, the sad truth is that we've lived away from our families since we graduated from college. Except for a few away-from-Prague furloughs and periods of job hunting, we've never lived even in the same town as them. Actually, now that I think about it, we really haven't lived in the same state...or country most of the time. That being said, we're used to not gathering on weekends and most special occasions as some families do. Not that we like it, but it just seems to be the way things have worked out for us so far.

Today, however, I felt their absence keenly. It just seemed proper that they, too should gather around the baptismal waters to see this event: Jacob's grandparents, and great-grandfather, aunts and uncles. Joining them in spirit would be other family members who have gone ahead of us - those who chose the very same path years ago, and in turn, led us to it.

Even though they weren't there for this moment, I was given peace by knowing their blessings for Jacob, even across thousands of miles. At the same time, I was also conscious of those unknown family members who would come after us - perhaps Jacob's children and grandchildren who will be led to take up the cross because of the path he began today.

I pray that God will guide and bless Jacob every step of the way.

Angel  – (22 June 2009 at 14:22)  

Congratulations to Jacob. Welcome him to our family for me. Amos was baptized about 6 weeks ago, and Matt was the one to do the dunking. Amos called his grandparents before church started to tell them, and they announced it at the Grafton church and prayed for him. I know what you mean about wanting them there in the flesh though.

Gay –   – (22 June 2009 at 21:38)  

Hi Julie, I just discovered your blog and have really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I thought about your family during Jacob's baptism and how nice it would have been to have them here.We have always lived in a different town or state than our families and Ive shared your feelings on many occasions. I really enjoyed your Field Trip story too.You had such a clever way of wrapping up the whole experience. I felt ;like I was reliving it. So glad we could be there with you and share the memory.

Catherine  – (23 June 2009 at 08:40)  

Congratulations to all the Lockes and especially Jacob. I know you will follow your family's traditions and be a mighty man of God. Julie, I sent you an email regarding the French Horn. If you're still interested in Ann bringing it, check out the email and let me know. love from the Wrobleskis.

Grace Pendleton –   – (25 June 2009 at 22:53)  

Dear Julie, I have been trying to leave a comment and I believe I have figure it out how. Having your son being baptism on Fathers Day is great and my family was not here when our kids were baptism either. Brenna loves spending time with Jericho and it is so nice that they are good friends. I am looking forward to having the kids over on July 8th. We will work out details later. God Bless you while you move into your beautiful home.

Jen  – (6 July 2009 at 18:52)  

Yay, Jacob! What a joyous occasion for your family!!!
We are rejoicing with your family!

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP