A Sub Day


Well, I guess I am actually in the computerized sub system after all. I actually got a sub call Monday night, and had my first day of subbing here yesterday.

It was such a shock to actually get the call that I had to delay the message for several minutes while searching for my ID number to punch in. Then I listened to the job description at least eight times, thinking, "Hmmm. Do I really want to be a band teacher?" But then those phrases that I tell my kids all the time popped into my head, such as "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", "Don't bite the hand that feeds you", as well as "Beggars can't be choosers", and then of course I accepted the job. (On a very side note, I used to think that first phrase said, "Don't lick a gift horse in the mouth", which understandably made no sense to me at all.)

It actually turned to be a very nice day, largely because I had a day full of classes that only lasted 30 minutes. The only really trouble I had was when the beginning string students wanted their instruments tuned with the electronic tuner that the teacher had hidden somewhere. I said, "Sorry, kids, can't help you there. Just leave them the way they are, and it will be just fine." What I didn't say was, "Okay, you've been playing that cello/violin for only about five weeks. Do you really think it matters if you tune it?" But of course I didn't say that, because we all know that sarcasm is a big no-no for teachers, especially substitutes who aren't getting any calls in the first place.

Fortunately for the rest of the classes, my old band knowledge kicked in, and it all went fine.

Last night we went out to a fundraising dinner, so I made sure to take my ID number with me so I would have it if I got another call. I kept it close to me all evening, just in case, and by the bed last night. I woke up once in the night wondering if they would call, but by the time it was time to get up, I was back in "not expecting a call" mode.

But that's okay, too, because I have a lot of other things to do today.

picture by: by B Tal (Creative Commons License: Attribution, Non-Commercial)
Open on Flickr

Barbara  – (14 October 2009 at 13:20)  

And when word gets around of how good you are, I'm sure you'll be over-run with calls - especially on the days you've already laid out something that absolutely HAS to be done that day. :)

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP